Stop Motion Animation Forum Archive











Posted by motion_station, on 2005-10-24 04:42:09

Realistic Indoor House effects!

Hi, I was just wondering what you lot use for indoor house walls. Do you paint it on, Or do you put proper wallpaper on it? In my past animations ive used wallpaper but im thinking about just using paint, But will paint reflect light more than Wallpaper Side note *dont use wallpaper with big patterns on it can really screw your animations up.

Posted by Helena, on 2005-10-24 06:43:34

I've used dolls house wallpaper which comes in 1:24 and 1:12 scale and is available in a huge variety of designs. Some small patterns of full size wallpaper are usable too - check the pattern books. Failing that I've also made linocuts to make my own patterns. I've not had trouble with light reflecting from walls although I take the trouble to make sure that it's dead matt. Helena

Posted by Donkeyshed, on 2005-10-26 10:17:06

I've been trying to create an 'authentic' looking 1970s living room. I downloaded lots of retro wallpaper samples, but they were, of course, not in the appropriate scale. However, they have been useful as a reference source. I have used them to design my own patterns using photoshop (Illustrator even better if you have access to it) and printed out my own wallpaper to the scale I need, then cut it into strips and paste onto plywood walls. If you print it on 'textured' paper it looks pretty realistic.

Posted by slothpaladin, on 2005-10-25 01:48:07

When I paint a set wall I use a flat paint, turns out great.

Posted by Nick H, on 2005-10-26 20:21:45

Scanning actual wallpaper and printing at a reduced scale would certainly be an easy way to get good results. but designing your own and printing it out is the best way to go. (One of the nice details in The Wrong Trousers was the custom wallpaper, bones for Gromit, fish for the penguin.) A great touch, cutting it into strips! Would there be a problem with the inkjet print running if you use water based glue, or water washes to age it? Probably you need to spray some fixative on to protect it. I don't often go for a wallpaper look, the last time was before I had a computer or printer, but I found some sheets of gift wrapping paper in subdued colors and the right scale that worked well. I've often seen printed fabric that would look good too, except for the fabric texture.

Posted by jamesride101, on 2005-10-27 11:37:36

I just finished putting wall paper on a miniature bedroom for an SFX shot on a live action film. The room was frorced perspective and cind of skewed. The patern was a skaled down from real wall paper and then skewed on photoshop to give it the forced perspective. The paper was printed on a regular ink jet printer that we have at the shop and for applying it on the MDF(medium density fiber board) walls I used a regular glue stick for paper. Applyed it on both surfaces and possisioned the paper carefully. The glue stick will give you some time to "play" with the possisioning/reposisioning, as opposed to spray glues that are prety much a one shot deal. Remount spray glue might be an option, but I'm never satisfied with it's strength. "and thats all I have to say about that"